No Bugs Allowed - “My dad taught me from my youngest childhood memories through these connections with Aboriginal and tribal people that you must always protect people's sacred status, regardless of the pest.” Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
People, listen up: Storage Plus is here to protect your sacred status, even if you are not tribal.
If everyone loved roaches, ants, and spiders, they wouldn’t be called “pests”.
We have all seen them and most people are afraid of them (well, probably not afraid of ants), but how can you protect your storage items from them?
Before you put that deposit down on your storage unit, ask facility management what they do to prevent pests from invading. At Storage Plus, for example, we spray inside vacant storage units and outside all buildings every month. You will always want to scope out the location and make sure you’re comfortable that they are doing a proper job to protect it. Pests like spiders and roaches love hiding in boxes, which makes a storage facility look like Shangri-la to them. (Can we get some angels singing, please?) So if you see a few dead bugs on the floor or ground, it doesn’t mean you need to scratch the establishment off your list. In fact, dead bugs mean something is working! However, if you see these creepy crawlies scurrying about, then that’s a sign that pest control is not up to par.
A reputable storage facility (for example, Storage Plus!) will take precautions to get rid of pests, but with all the inventory coming and going, these tiny critters can easily find their way into boxes or papers and set up camp. So here are some ways to protect your content from being invaded:
- Even if a box has been tightly sealed, look before you touch and before you reach in.
- Do not store perishable food.
- Clean items inside and out before storing them.
- Use airtight containers. If you can’t, then seal boxes and other containers very well.
- Before packing and while unpacking, shake out blankets, clothes, and shoes.
- Check all containers for pests before packing anything inside.
- Shake everything out before packing and upon removal.
Storage Plus, protectors of your sacred status….and also your storage unit.